The Croatian Ministry of Agriculture established last year a “Reference Expert Network for the Conservation of Animal Genetic Resources” (hr: Referentna Ekspertna Mreža za očuvanje Animalnih Genetskih Resursa; REM AnGR).
It is divided into seven working groups:
- valorization of breeding programs, conservation programs and action plans (21 expert members).
- in situ conservation programs for local breeds (32 expert members).
- ex situ conservation programs for local breeds (21 expert members).
- economic use and promotion of local breeds and products of local breeds (22 expert members)
- animal welfare and legislation for the breeding of local breeds (19 expert members)
- health and reproduction of local breeds (26 expert members)
- preservation of local dog breeds (20 expert members)
The expert members are mostly members of the scientific community whose scientific interests are related to the conservation and affirmation of local breeds. The national coordinator is the coordinator of REM AnGR.
The mission of REM AnGR is to coordinate and improve the efficiency of conservation and affirmation of national genetic resources in Croatia. We believe that the mentioned organizational framework of REM AnGR will be a good basis for exchange of experience at national and international level.
For more information, you can contact the National AnGR Coordinator (Ante Ivanković) at the e-mail address aivankovic[a]agr.hr.